Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I am trying to change the brake rotors on my1992 bmw 325i, how do I stop the rotor from rotating when i want..

to remove thee nut/srew that holds the rotor. I took everything off and all that is left is that nut/screw but the rotor keeps rotating and that makes it impossible to take it off. Will putting the front of the car on jack stands help as I am changing the front rotors and am working on one side at a time?I am trying to change the brake rotors on my1992 bmw 325i, how do I stop the rotor from rotating when i want..
I dont think jack stands will lock the rotors in place while you try to loosen the rotor's mounting cap screws. Best way is to use an Impact wrench. If you don't have access to an impact wrench, try using a long screwdriver inserted in one of the vent holes in the rim of the rotor. The rotor will rotate until the protruding screwdriver wedges itself against the floor. First, however, be sure you have new cap screws to use when you re-assemble. 2nd. Do not tighten the cap screws more than 1/8 turn once the rotor is properly seated. Use anti-sieze paste on the threads of the cap screws. I do not recommend using a vice clamp on the surface of the soft iron rotors. The rotors can be easily warped, knicked or damaged.I am trying to change the brake rotors on my1992 bmw 325i, how do I stop the rotor from rotating when i want..
Maybe you should have loosened them with the calipers on. Someone could hold the brake pedal. Maybe try putting a vice, c-clamp or vice grips on the disc. It's possible that one side has left-hand threads too.I am trying to change the brake rotors on my1992 bmw 325i, how do I stop the rotor from rotating when i want..
If you are talking about that single hardened phillips black screw, make sure you get a couple of new ones. I use an impact-hammer wrench to get them off (the kind that actually uses a hammer - not air powered - less chance that it will slip out). They are different metal than the rotor so sometimes they seize up. The head is about the size of a dime, but the screw itself is only about 1/4%26quot; diameter.I am trying to change the brake rotors on my1992 bmw 325i, how do I stop the rotor from rotating when i want..
put the caliper and pads back on and use a vice-clamp to hold the rotor still.



and you will need an impact hammer to remove the bolts on the rotor.I am trying to change the brake rotors on my1992 bmw 325i, how do I stop the rotor from rotating when i want..
From the BMW service manual:



%26quot;REMOVING, RECONDITIONING AND INSTALLING BRAKE ROTORS



To remove the brake rotors, first remove the caliper and brake pads as described below...Unsing a hex wrench, remove the mounting screw from between two of the wheel bolt holes and pull the rotor off the hub...Use a soft faced mallet to free stuck rotor.



CAUTION --

Do not try to remove the rotor without first removing caliper assembly. EXCESSIVE FORCE MAY DAMAGE THE ROTOR OR THE WHEEL BEARING HOUSING.%26quot;



Some knucklehead using an impact wrench and not their brain is why none of my BMWs go to a mechanic. If the rotor is to be discarded, you can use water pump pliers to hold the rotor and use a solvent to loosen the nut. If you do this, make sure to clean the wheel bearing housing immediately afterwards to ensure you don't have to greese and repack.



The front of the car should be up on jack stands and level.



You should have the BMW Service manual in hand or at the very least the Bently book. Either is enourmously helpful - especially in situations like this.I am trying to change the brake rotors on my1992 bmw 325i, how do I stop the rotor from rotating when i want..
Everyones answers will work - but since your that far along try placing two lug bolts in their holes and use a pry bar between them or something similar to hold the rotor in position.



or just use a impact wrench.