Thursday, September 22, 2011

Rotor Question-PLEASE HELP!?

I've basically worn my brake pads down to the bone; my car makes a pretty loud grinding noise everytime I brake, although I haven't noticed any %26quot;spongy%26quot; feeling in the brake pedal or shaking in the wheel. I don't even have to press the brake pedal all the way to the floor when I brake.



I know I need new brake pads, and my dad insisted that I needed new rotors too due to the metal-on-metal grinding, but I just looked at the rotors and they look pretty good! There is some rusting on the outside edges and in a few other patches, but no deep grooves. The rotors kind of look like records-you know, those strange old things that grandmas and grandpas used to listen to. I couldn't check their thickness, but I've never had these ones machined before, so I think they should be in pretty good shape.



My working knowledge of cars is generally pitiful, but I'm pretty sure that I can figure out how to change my brake pads on my own.



So my questions are



A) Can I change my brake pads myself and leave the rotors as they are without any dire consequences?



B) If I take the car to a mechanic to have the pads changed, do they normally machine the rotors when they change the pads as a part of the service? One place quoted me about $160 to change the brake pads, but I forgot to ask if machining is included and now its too late to call back.



C) Can I save money if I just change my own pads, then take the rotors to a mechanic to machine? If so, what would the general cost be for my two front rotors?



Also, I drive a '98 Ford Explorer, 2WD (I'm pretty sure its rear-wheel).



Thanks for any input!Rotor Question-PLEASE HELP!?
It's dire because none of us can measure or inspect the rotors. The rotor friction contact surfaces must be flat and parallel and measure above the discard thickness. Any auto-parts can tell you what the minimum allowable thickness is. You can measure the thickness with a 0-1 micrometer or a vernier caliper. Prepare to be hozed if they want to sell you rotors. Inquire how much they are and where they were made. Off-shore brake rotors can be purchased at any auto parts-store for less than $35.00. Thy are made of terrible quality of cast iron. This is a wake-up call cause chain brake shops, private mechanics and new car dealerships install these cheap rotors and charge you premium prices for what you could by the best brands for.Rotor Question-PLEASE HELP!?
Whenever u do brakes u should either cut the rotors or heave then replaced the pads need a new surface to wear into or else the won't last Long and since it's an explorer it would be cheaper to just replace them I charge45 to cut when neW ones are only 25 eachRotor Question-PLEASE HELP!?
Ok, here's what I would do. Yes, you can change them yourself. Get your pads from Kragen's/Checker/Schuukcs(my favorite). Most of the do rotor and drum machining for something like $10. Buy the lifetime pads they sell for like $30. Have them show you as they measure the rotor thickness if they tell you that you need new ones. The %26quot;record grooving%26quot; you mention could go either way as faras needing new rotors. Some brand new rotors do not come factory thick enough to be machined even once. It all depends on the mfgr. And, it being a 98, how many brake jobs were done prior to now?Rotor Question-PLEASE HELP!?
yes it is rwd or 4 WD

i just replaced rotors on the same basic truck

the rotors can be had for around $30 a piece

call your local parts store (pep boys ,murrays, ETC)

there are 2 bolts that hold the brake caliber to the rotor get the proper tool at the same time

it takes about 45 min with simple hand tools

save yourself a few bux and buy a chiltons book and fix it yourself its really not so hard

you will also need a C clamp to compress the caliber once you have it apart

i am believeing there will be visable wear on the inside of the rotor

hope this helpsRotor Question-PLEASE HELP!?
A) you could do it yourself with a little bit of knowledge, but your rotors DEFINANTLY need replacing, rotors are suppose to be smooth, not grooved like records



B) if the rotors are still withing spec, they can be machined down, but if you ground them under their specs, they'll need to be replaced. if they're charinging $160, they should be machining the rotors then, or else that's just a very expensive pad replacement



C) like i said, you can do it yourself, but there's a lot of things that could go wrong, i would recommend you take it to a mechanic. they'll have all the tools for the job, so you dont have to go out and buy extra stuff that you probably wont use ever again just for one job



and it is a RWD car ;)Rotor Question-PLEASE HELP!?
If brake rotors look like records you will wear you new pads out pematurely. The thickness of the rotor wether it looks good or not is going to make or break wether or not they can be machined.



If you take them to a decent shop/mechanic they won't turn them unless they measure above spec.



$160 to change pads sounds like includes machine work if applicable.



http://waz-stuff.blogspot.com/