Thursday, June 2, 2011

Again, changing the brakes on my truck???

i have a 04' f.150.... i am mechanically inclined... have all the tools i need... read 2 how to's online....but i want to change the rotors too...... what was that thing about pinching the lines or i will damage it?... most of you guys said its easy... how hard are the rotors?Again, changing the brakes on my truck???
Rotors are not hard at all. There are so many ways that rotors are attached depending on if it's 2 or 4 wheel drive. Best thing to do is to get a Haynes manual from Autozone or Advance Auto Parts...Costs 20 bucks and will help you out with more than just brakes. I get one for every car I buy.

The reason I suggested Haynes instead of alldata is because you buy it once, not once a year AND you can take it out to your car with you...Unless you want grease on your laptop. :)Again, changing the brakes on my truck???
I'm sorry, I was just adding a little to your suggestion since it was a good idea for him to get a manual.

But no, you can't take it with you. You can print the pages you want though :)

Semper Fi

Report Abuse

Again, changing the brakes on my truck???
Like the other poster said, best to get a %26quot;Haynes %26quot; manual.

I guess what they mean about pinching the lines is, you have to remove the calipers to get the rotor off the axle, do not let the caliper hang, it must be tied up out of the way so as not to pinch the flexible brake lines. No big deal and not hard.

The caliper must be rmoved to renew the pads anyway, and best to use new hardware when replacing pads and shoes.

Good luck, not hard.Again, changing the brakes on my truck???
Since the guy above already answered the question, I just thought I would mention something a little off subject..but not much.

If you are really into working on your own vehicle (s) you should look into using Alldata online. You get everything in the repair manuals, plus updated information, TSBs, specs, warnings, info, etc. It's much better than they Haynes or Chilton manuals, but does cost a little more too.



It's something like 25 bucks a year for one vehicle, and then a little less for each vehicle after that. But it has just about everything you need to do any repair to your vehicle.